Arthritis, Spondylitis, Slip Disc
Ayurveda - Arthritis [Sandhivat] Treatment
Arthritis is one of the most common ailments for which Ayurvedic help is being sought these days.
Disease process in Arthritis:
Depending on a person's lifestyle, diet, and emotional pattern, either vata, pitta or kapha goes out of balance. Then that particular dosha slows down agni (digestive fire), resulting in the toxic, sticky by-product of inadequate digestion known as ama.
Vata, the main active dosha, brings the ama into the colon, and from there it travels through the system and lodges in the bone tissue and in the joints, giving rise to the stiffness and pain characteristic of arthritis.
Ayurveda attempts to remove the ama from the joint and bring it back to the colon, and then to eliminate it. To do this, we need to keep the colon clean. It is best to determine the type of arthritis and manage it for the remedies recommended for the specific type. If you do not know whether the arthritis is vata, pitta, or kapha arthritis, take 1 teaspoon triphala at night with 1/2 to 1 cup warm water.
If you know positively which type it is, you can use the following (1/2 to 1 teaspoon with warm water):
- Haritaki for vata-type arthritis
- Amalaki for pitta-type
- Bibbitaki for kapha-type arthritis
Remedies for Arthritis:
As described above ama and vata are the main causes, so efforts should be made to digest ama and to reduce the vata. The digestion should be improved so that no further ama is produced. Efforts should be made to relieve the pain and inflammation. This is the line of treatment according to Ayurveda.
Diet and Regimen for Arthritis:
- Natural home remedy using mustard or Coconut oil and camphor
- Take 4-6 spoon of mustard or coconut oil
- Add 10 g camphor
- Heat the oil till the camphor dissolves completely
- While heating keep the pan in rotation
- Massage lukewarm oil on the affected area. This will help improve the blood circulation in the area and will reduce the inflammation and stiffness.
- Natural home remedy using green gram and garlic cloves
- Take 3 tbsp green gram
- Soak in 250 ml water overnight to get sprouted gram
- Add 2 crushed garlic cloves to the sprouted gram
- Mix well. Consume 2 times a day. May add salt and pepper.
- Two tea spoons of lemon juice mixed in 250 ml of warm water and a tea spoon of honey is good to take twice a day morning and evening.
- Light exercise, Yoga & Walk is beneficial
- Foods which are easily digestible and do not make wind or gas are good. Vegetable juices and soups are good. Green salad with lemon juice and a little salt is also good. Fruits like apples, oranges, grapes and papaya can be taken. Cooking with spices like cumin, coriander, ginger, asafetida , garlic, fennel and turmeric is also helps a lot.
- Avoid eating hot, spicy and fried foods, sweets, wind forming foods like cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, broccoli and potatoes should be prohibited.
- Avoid taking too much tea, coffee, alcohol, sugar, excessive smoking
- Sleeping during day time, staying up late in the night and mental tensions like worry, anxiety, fear, stress etc., should be given up.
- "A combination of methi, jeera and dhaniya is good to fight arthritis. This can also be consumed in raw or green form with warm water.
- Reduce Weight since obesity increases problem
- Take a half-teaspoon of powdered ginger or up to 30 grams (about 6 teaspoons) of fresh ginger once a day. Research shows that ginger helps relieve arthritis pain, probably because of its ability to increase blood circulation. Mix ginger juice and one tablespoon of honey in a cup of warm water and drink it daily two times.
- Turmeric & Ginger Tea - Turmeric and ginger are both anti-inflammatory, and will help with oseto and rheumatoid arthritis. Its active ingredient is something called curcumin, which is a powerful antioxidant. In addition, it lowers the levels of 2 enzymes responsible for causing inflammation (which is what we’re often fighting with arthritis.)
-2 cups of water
-2 teaspoon ginger
-1/2 teaspoon turmeric
-Honey to taste
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, and had 2 teaspoon each ginger and ½ turmeric. Reduce to a simmer and let it be for 10-15 minutes. Strain, add honey to taste, and enjoy twice daily.
- Cinnamon can be used to relieve arthritis pain due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Mix one-half teaspoon of cinnamon powder and one tablespoon of honey in a cup of warm water and drink it every morning on an empty stomach. Do this daily.